Root Canal Treatment (RCT) – Fillings
‘Root canal treatment’ as the name suggests is the treatment of canals of the teeth.
How does caries affect the tooth?
When the caries crosses the first two layers in a tooth, that is, the enamel and the dentine, it reaches the third layer of the tooth which consists of the nerves and the blood vessels. Since these nerves and blood vessels run throughout the tooth structure, the infection travels to the base of the tooth and causes the tooth to be sore.
How many canals does each tooth have?
These nerves run through the canals in the tooth and the number of canals can vary from tooth to tooth. The incisors and canines generally have have one canal, the premolars one or two canals and the molars generally have 3 canals.
Whats happens in Root Canal Treatment?
These canals are cleaned, shaped and disinfected. The infection in the canals is drained and the canal is filled with a thermoplastic material.
Root canal treatment can be completed in one or more sittings depending on the complexity of the canals and the infection present.
Do I need a Crown after the Root Canal Treatment is completed?
Once the RCT is completed, the tooth generally needs a crown to protect the tooth from fracture. For more information on crown you can read here.
Watch Video to know more about
Root Canal Treatment
Helpful Tips and Instructions
1. There may be some soreness of the tooth being treated for a few days after treatment.
2. Warm saline (1/2 teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water) rinses are helpful in the healing process.
3. A tooth undergoing RCT is brittle & weak. Avoid chewing hard food on that tooth till such time as the treatment is complete with capping.
5. It is advisable to have a crown fitted on the tooth where the RCT has been performed, after the treatment has been completed.
6. Please do not forget to take the medicines prescribed to you by your dentist.
7. Following completion of the RCT & Crown, please visit us for a check up once every three months.
Please be assured that our commitment to your care does not end with the completion of your treatment
Reasons Why Patients Love Us
We have over 12 years of expertise in Dentistry. Citylife Dental has survived the test of time.
We believe in perfection, reproducibility of results, precision and professionalism.